Pages

marquee#f72828

......... SEND US YOUR NEWS FROM THE AFRICAN WOMEN'S SOCCER WORLD....womenssoccerafrica@gmail.com..... ......

Monday, September 3, 2012

Coach Edwin Okon and Desire Oparanozie Chat With Kate Obodo

Falconets' coach Edwin Okon is a man on a mission at the ongoing FIFA Under-20 women's world  cup just as top striker Desire Oparanozie, who has  dazzled with her performance thus far. In a chit chat with correspondent Kate Obodo,coach and player share their  objectives and experiences with  readers in this interview.

K.O: Coach Edwin Okon,how are you feeling,now that you have your team in to the semi-finals ?

E.O: I feel good, and the good thing is that we are in the semifinal like you mentioned and the girls worked hard and play according to instructions, despite losing many scoring chances. The most important thing is that we won and are on track to get to the final.

K.O: Desire Oparanozie,how was your mood after the game against Mexico ?

D.O: It was a great thing especially because I saved my country.

K.O: Coach, what lessons have you learned from the match against Mexico ?
E.O: Like I said earlier, the girls played according to instruction and they deserved their victory. The pressure was more on the opponents and you could see how the referee was blowing against us. But that is part of the game. There are so many lessons to be learned from that match. But as we prepare for the next match we would correct our mistakes.

K.O: Desire, how was the Mexican defense  unlocked, considering how far the game went before you were able to score?

D.O:Actually, we were so determined even before the game. Also before the match started, we resolved that we would score and win. That was why we kept on pushing and we didn't keep our head down till we were able to succeed.We never relented in our efforts.

K.O : On semifinal match against USA,what are we as fans to expect ?

E.O:We will take the game as it comes and I believe God, who is the decider of everything, will decide in our favor. Once God decides, no man can change it. If God says the trophy will come to Nigeria, no problem! If no, there are still no problems, but we would take the game as it comes.

K.O: Still on game against Mexico,Desire,How would you assess your game as a team and as an individual. ?
D.O:We were really selfish against Mexico and did not play as a team. All the players were just on their own, wanting to score goals without doing the right thing as a team. Also, we did not do well in the attack and we were very selfish and at the same time holding too much to the ball. Everybody wanted to score, forgetting that we are a team. But we have been spoken to by the coach on how disarm the USA.

K.O: So against USA on Tuesday, what is the target you have set ?

D.O: We would put everything in the hands of God and at the same time, we are doing our best to ensure that we overpower USA. Although they are a very good side I strongly believe that we would over power them. For now we are working seriously on the attack and defense departments. And we hope to do our best at the end.

K.O: How do you manage your girls and have you ever been accused of sleeping with your girls?
E.O:I'm a principled person and I take my girls like my children and I don't think I have any contrary thought towards them. I have not seen a situation where male coaches sleep with their female players.No and may God punish me if I sleep with my girls. Like I said earlier, they are like my children and I don't think such thought would ever cross my mind. I am a married man and I am happy with the wife.

K.O: Your exploits has won you many male and female admirers.How do you manage your  male admirers ?
D.O: There has  been so many admirers but what can I do than to be nice to all of them.it makes me work even harder to make them all happy.

K.O: Are you into a relationship and may we know who the lucky person is ?
D.O: Yes, am in a relationship but unfortunately i'll like to keep the name private.
K.O:How do you unwind after a hard day's work on the field of soccer?
D.O: I like to stay at home and eat. My best food is garri (eba) because it gives a lot of energy.

K.O:Well Coach Edwin and Desire,thank you for  taking time off your busy schedule to sit and chat with us. We wish you all the best.Hopefully you will grant us another interview after you beat USA and bring home the trophy. Good luck.
by Kate Obodo.

No comments:

Post a Comment